Beginning January 1st, I took part in a photography challenge hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, called Moments Matter. Each day we were challenged with a photo prompt and were inspired to capture an everyday, meaningful moment, however we see fit within that prompt. It was such a fun month of capturing moments that I would never have otherwise, and it gave me a creative outlet, which I really miss as a designer!
1. Routine :: Sunday morning meal planning and grocery list writing. I actually love this quiet moment in the morning where my OCD can come alive, I can peruse the Target ad and the cartwheel app (sometimes my highlighter even comes out) and I can plan out the weeks menu with a hot cup of coffee. Bonus if I get to go to the grocery store ALONE!
2. Cozy :: It’s the last day of holiday break so I’m taking advantage of all the snuggles. It feels like this break has been full of sickness in our house so jammies, slippers and blankets have been the norm around here for the last 11 days. Back to reality and routine tomorrow morning.
3. Favorite :: The feeling of another little one growing inside, the joy on my girls faces when we talk about Baby, the excitement for the future as a family of 5… all of my favorite things at the moment! We find out if Baby D #3 is a little boy or girl in just a few weeks – such an exciting time!
4. Mess :: The playroom. Where the girls can be creative & let their imaginations come alive. It is always a mess and I tend to not let it bother me as I walk past it, but it’s beginning to give this mama anxiety since all the STUFF needs to move to the basement when the room is converted into a nursery. But until then, it is the girl’s favorite spot in the house.
5. View :: My view… my 6 year old on her first ride. Her view… the entire world at her fingertips as she flies through the sky. This summer we took the girls to an amusement park. It was their first time on big-girl rides and I continuously hear that it was one of their favorite days of the summer!
6. Home :: My favorite view as I come downstairs… the wall full of family memories (that desperately needs to be updated) and the girls working together at the kitchen table. Feels like home.
7. Color :: Organizing the girls too-small bin of clothes (that is NEVER ENDING) and always love how little kids can get away with such bright colors and fun patterns. Me? Show me all the neutrals!
8. Gratitude :: So incredibly blessed, thankful, GRATEFUL for this crazy crew. For my hubs who works so hard to support us, for one kiddo who keeps us constantly laughing with her silliness and the other for her sweet, thoughtful heart.
9. To Do :: To do :: fill up the jar throughout the year with all the fun memories we create as a family. At the end of the year we’ll empty the jar and read about the amazing year we’ve had. I have a feeling this will be one of the best yet!
10. Hold on :: I watch her get on the bus every morning. And every morning I see her little hand waving excitedly to me out the window. I’m holding on to this sweet phase of childhood innocence when waving to your mom is still cool. What she doesn’t know is how much her mama needs this solace reminder every morning since she’s six going on sixteen.
11. Still :: “Mom, I want to feed the deer since there’s so much snow and they can’t find any food.” The stillness of the fresh fallen snow makes for a beautiful backdrop as she thoughtfully feeds the critters some breakfast before she eats her own.
12. Reflection :: This little one is a total reflection of her mama… she thrives on routine and a schedule, she’s very sensitive and can get her feelings hurt easily (working on that) and she loves to CLEAN (bonus, I have a mini cleaning helper at all times). Love having a mini-me!
13. Together :: These two are so close in age that they are constantly together. Although their close ages scared me (to the point of tears) I wouldn’t change it for the world now. They are best buddies and total goofballs!
14. Sweet :: It’s never too early. A sweet treat to start the weekend.
15. Make :: Making time for some baking. Trying to take a step back and watch them stir, measure, spill and just have fun. Messes can be cleaned up, right?
16. Outdoors :: With a temp of 26° and getting up to 40° later this week, it feels like a heat wave in MN… but, I just don’t wanna.
17. Sleep :: I love watching how her sleep position changes from the time she goes to bed to waking up. If only I could sleep like this…
18. Right now :: Two things… 1. This kid can sit in a bath all day, every day, until her fingers turn to raisins and the water is cold and 2. I maaaay need to start wearing maternity clothes full time right about now.
19. You :: You two. My girls. My world. You know me in a way no one ever has. You’ve opened me up to things I never knew existed. You drive me to insanity and push me to my depths. You are the beat of my heart and the energy in my soul. Even after the toughest of days, the morning comes and I’m excited for what’s to come with YOU.
20. Treasure :: I’ve started to feel you move, little one. I’m treasuring all the gentle movements and flutters before all the jabs, kicks and pokes begin as you grow bigger (which are just fine, too). We already can’t wait to meet you!
21. Play :: It’s a sloppy, goopy mess outside and all the pretty snow from a few days ago is almost gone. The kiddos found some fun with the gigantic puddles and it kept them busy for a hot minute… before they complained they were wet and wanted to go home :-/
22. Need :: There’s a lot of what I need in this picture :: Target, Starbucks and some one-on-one time with my big girl. With her in school full time I rarely get to spend too much time alone with her so making even the most mundane task like grocery shopping fun for her is important and something we both need.
23. Remember :: Summertime. The warm air. The sounds of seagulls and waves at the beach. Sounds like paradise right now on this gloomy January day in MN. Just need to remember that it will be back, even if it is still 6 months away…
24. Slow :: My favorite time of the day… the slow pace of mid-morning when there’s a few hours to play & get things done before lunch, pre-school drop off, pick-ups, errands, activities and evening rituals ensue. My daily reminder to slow down and enjoy this time.
25. Wish :: My wish for this girl is that she will continue to be her sweet, caring, thoughtful, cautious, considerate, (and goofy) self with the world and that she will be proud of who she is and becomes. It’s a tough world out there, but it’s nothing she can’t handle!
26. Treat :: Starting the day with my favorite treat: donuts and Starbucks!! I try to limit myself to a Starbucks trip once or twice a week (okay, no more than three times) to keep it a treat and donuts from the local bakery… I may be in a sugar coma afterward but yum-o!!
27. Light :: I love how the warm light shines through on a cold day, helping to make it a little less brutal. This dog loves being outside and going on nature walks. Annnd a little exercise for me doesn’t hurt either.
28. Here :: Every few months we measure the girls to see how much they’ve grown. Every few months they get so excited at how much they’ve grown since last time. And every few months I get a little sad that my babies are growing up so fast… the proof being literally right in front of my eyes. I keep telling myself and husband that we need to be “here” and make memories RIGHT NOW before their an inch taller.
29. Learn :: Just a few more DAYS until we learn if Baby D #3 is a little boy or girl! We are all so excited and even have a fun little reveal party planned this time around.
30. Small :: She looks so small up there, but she told me she was on top of the world. She may only be six and a half, but her strong, feisty personality is anything but small.
30. Small (2) :: With both girls off of school today I’m accomplishing a very small amount, but chocolate chip banana bread was definitely on the to-do list.
31. Joy :: The perfect prompt to end this Moments Matter challenge :: JOY… nothing brings me more joy and feeling of significance than being a mama to my two kiddos, soon to be three!!
I was proud of myself that I stuck with it through the month and was really sad when it was over! But, rumor has it that the challenge will be back next month… (Yay!) and I’m really looking forward to that!! You can follow me on Instagram to see all the photos from this challenge and many more from our crazy family!